Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thanks Meredith! :)

I wish comments were more visible, but they're pretty inconspicuous, so I'm making a new post :)

I'm really happy you read the article and gave a thoughtful answer, thanks!

I'm supercurious about what you're doing and experiencing in Egypt...are you keeping track of it all in any way, or posting photos anywhere? I think I really want to just get to another country, but I can't really leave until March, because I'm flying up at the beginning of March to see my mother start the Iditarod (dogsled race) in Willow, Alaska. So everyone who's on a year-long exchange, I really envy you! You had a smart idea. On the other hand, you have a little less opportunity to wildly change plans halfway through your year...

I absolutely see the one-sided focus of the article on English, the liberal arts, lonely freedom, pondering great books in silent study, blah blah blah, and I definitely have a weakness for all that because I can relate to it. HOWEVER, what about science, what about social geniuses who really aren't interested in solitude but can motivate the masses, what about math...although he mentions "multiple intelligences", he really focuses on the forms of intelligence reflected by his own strengths. Which is a very human weakness, to conflate your inner life with the lives of everyone on the planet.
A final thought: I think it's OK to criticize your institution. Even though we are "damn lucky to be going to Stanford" -- only a few people get that privilege, it is an expensive privilege, etc. -- self-congratulation is something we want to avoid. Especially if the name of an institution becomes a substitute for self-esteem: it's our talents and (often) academic leanings that matter, not the college admission they delivered. You are you, not the college hoodie you wear.

Hope everyone who's already begun their gap year is loving it. I'm still working and saving money, which is maybe why I still have time to post on the blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment